Uncommon Handbound Books by Cindy Leaders


Class Over

Saturday, July 17, 2010

I finished up Laure Ferlita's Artful Journaling Foundations class this week. This scan is kind of the "first fruits" of my class. I discovered a wren on my screened porch yesterday morning and got such a great picture of captivity and freedom in watching his struggle to get out. Six weeks ago, I would have been frustrated in my attempt to illustrate my insights, but I was able to sit down and quickly make this page.

Here are the last couple of pages I did for the class itself:

I highly recommend this class for anyone who is drawn to a certain type of art journaling. It's far more precise than a lot of things out there right now. It's not the deeply layered, collaged type of journaling where it seems you just let the page take you where it wants to go. She teaches the foundations of drawing, presents super helpful video lessons on the basic principles of watercolor and walks you through borders, backgrounds and planning a layout for your pages.

I wasn't sure how I'd do in the class, but soon discovered that I had more drawing and "seeing" skills than I'd given myself credit for. Again I know this is not great art for publication or anything, but this is exactly what I had hoped to be able to do. I have a long way to go, but Ms. Ferlita has given me a place to start. I definitely plan to take the followup course in the fall.

Thanks, Laure!

12 comments:

Timaree July 17, 2010 at 8:04 AM  

This is terrific! You've really captured the little bird. Great description of her class. You've nailed it.

PrairiePeasant July 17, 2010 at 8:21 AM  

Great accomplishment to complete a class like that! I'm sure you've honed a lot of new skills that we'll see in your future work.

Glenda-TwoCoolTexans July 17, 2010 at 9:40 AM  

Wow, you did a beautiful job. So inspiring.

Linda Jo July 17, 2010 at 10:59 AM  

I am so impressed. I love these pages. I can't imagine that I could draw like that...ever!

Anonymous,  July 17, 2010 at 3:12 PM  

Okay this is the third time I have seen this class mentioned in as many days ... a sign? I think your drawings are fantastic! Truly, I have NO drawing skills and so want to know how to do it. Her class reminds me so much of the book Decorated Page and Decorated Journal. Which I LOVE.

Lorrie July 17, 2010 at 6:05 PM  

These are wonderful pages - and I like the emphasis on the art techniques that you've mentioned. This might be a class I would take.

teri July 18, 2010 at 5:30 AM  

I'm about to begin this class myself. So impressed with what you have done! Each of your works is a little gem. xo-teri

Altered Art Studio 9010 July 18, 2010 at 6:41 AM  

You talent girl . . . do not doubt it for a second. Love the way you have journaled around your painting.

Tammy Freiborg July 18, 2010 at 9:58 AM  

A darling wren and scrumptious blueberries. The pots are great!!

Coleen July 18, 2010 at 2:13 PM  

Nice work Cindy. Found you via Christian paper artists. I've been lurking there, but going to jump into a swap one of these days when I see one. I'm an American missionary in Ukraine (17yrs.) I'm following now. Would love it if you followed on mine.
Coleen
http://vintageterrace2.blogspot.com/

Marilyn Harris Mills aka Maer July 18, 2010 at 6:40 PM  

Wowsers Cindy....these are great ...I love the style....crisp clean paintings! I'm interested in Laurie's classes too.

Laure Ferlita August 7, 2010 at 10:11 AM  

Cindy, I haven't been doing my blog reading and just saw this! LOVE your wren! Very well done, and very well "expressed!"

Thanks for the write-up about the class.

Hope to see you in the fall!

Post a Comment