Uncommon Handbound Books by Cindy Leaders


Happy Birthday to My Dear Sis

Monday, October 18, 2010

As usual, the first breath of fresh fall air is bringing me back from my annual summer blog hiatus. Unlike many creatures, I hibernate in the late summer, when the heat becomes unbearable and we southerners need gills to breathe. But the leaves are turning now, and the days are delightfully cool. Windows open, I'm ready to re-enter the blogging world!


My sister has just celebrated a birthday this month. No need to mention which one. Let's just say it was a milestone. And as ever must be pointed out, she always remains older than me. Skies are her favorite thing in all the world, as I noted in a previous blog entry. So I made this book for her in celebration of the night sky.

She actually asked for this journal on a clear night last fall at our father's house. He lives in the middle of nowhere in southern Alabama, and with no street lights or homes nearby, there are more stars visible there than anywhere I visit. "That's what I want on my journal! Stars!" After a few false starts, I was so happy to send her this as a gift. Happy birthday, Barb!

8 comments:

Laure Ferlita October 18, 2010 at 1:25 PM  

Do you paint the cover or is it a photograph? Which ever it is, it's gorgeous!

Cindy Leaders October 18, 2010 at 1:54 PM  

Thanks, Laure! It's painted on plain brown kraft paper with acrylics, then layered with Tyvek and more kraft paper. Makes a nice, strong cover material!

PrairiePeasant October 18, 2010 at 3:12 PM  

Simply stunning! I thought at first it was a magazine photograph with added layers of paint, but I see from your comment it was all your artwork. Beautiful--I'm sure she will be so pleased!

Linda Jo October 19, 2010 at 7:35 AM  

This is so beautiful! What a wonderful sister you are!!! You know I went to high school in south Alabama!

Emerson Bindery October 19, 2010 at 6:51 PM  

What a lovely book, your sister is so fortunate!

Cindy Leaders October 20, 2010 at 5:20 PM  

Thanks, Linda and Beth! She's very dear. We lost a sister two years ago and joke about how happy we are to have a spare. :) Life would be tough without a sister.

Post a Comment