Uncommon Handbound Books by Cindy Leaders


Little Recycled Remnant Notebooks

Monday, June 14, 2010

You can probably imagine that paper scraps pile up pretty quickly in my studio. I literally have an entire bookshelf that holds just "book innards" leftover from reinvented journals. I can't stand to throw them away. These little stab bound notebooks are an effort to use some of these leftovers in a creative way.

Everything used here, except the thread, has been recycled. The 20-ish blank pages are made from stationery that a local realtor discarded. The remaining 30 or so pages are made from leftover scraps from other projects: pages from old books and encyclopedias, as well as primary, graph, legal and ledger paper.


The front cover is a vintage library card embellished with some old postage stamps left from my sons days of "collecting" and rubber stamped for a little added interest. Of course, you know I can't resist a theme, so I've tried to coordinate the stamps with the title of the book on the library card. I can't help myself! The card is scored at the bound end to make for easier opening. The back cover is either part of a manilla folder (again salvaged from another project) or a remnant of card stock. It's all aged a bit with ink and bound together with red linen thread.


These are available in my Etsy shop for $10 plus a nominal shipping fee. By the way, all return buyers now receive free shipping to US addresses. I hope these go well because they were a lot of fun to make! And, of course, they lighten the scrap load. :)

3 comments:

Lizzie June 14, 2010 at 1:46 PM  

A very imaginative use for your scraps and odds & ends! These look great - I hope you sell them all!

Anonymous,  June 14, 2010 at 7:36 PM  

Those books are Amazing! ♥

PrairiePeasant June 15, 2010 at 7:13 PM  

What a great idea! They would be great stocking stuffers or other such small gifts. Is the stamp an authentic post office stamp?

Post a Comment