Uncommon Handbound Books by Cindy Leaders


My Critic from Journal Spilling

Monday, April 26, 2010

I've been looking at the page that contains this exercise for a while. It's just been open on my desk. I finally decided to tackle it tonight, and the only thing I had in my mind was a magnifying glass. I so over-scrutinize, over-analyze and parse my work. It's exhausting. My critic got a name in the process: Scrooge. Tight-fisted, nose-to-the-grindstone, stingy, miserly Scrooge. The balance came in as I thought about how I measure myself against "better" artists. I'd love to say I thought of the verse in Daniel about the writing on the wall, but it was "A Knight's Tale" that brought the line to my mind: "You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting." Painful words I have spoken to myself regularly.

So here's what I have to say to Mr. Scrooge: Dude, lighten up! It's just art.

6 comments:

Artefaque: (är'tə-fākt') * April 26, 2010 at 8:56 PM  

More than that..lighten up its just FUN :-)

Julie Jordan Scott April 27, 2010 at 9:05 AM  

LOL. Love that "Dude, lighten up!"... after the Dickensian... "you have been found wanting!" BRILLIANT, I say... BRILLIANT!

Cindy Leaders April 27, 2010 at 9:44 AM  

Thanks, Shay, Linda & Julie! You encourage me!

Emerson Bindery April 27, 2010 at 2:01 PM  

I'm found wanting when it comes to my poor neglected art journal! Maybe when wedding season is over I will have time...or else I should just schedule it into my day.
Glad you're overcoming Mr Scrooge!!

Unknown June 5, 2010 at 1:19 PM  

I know you are your own worst critic, but that's also why your stuff is spot-on down to the minutest detail.

:)

Post a Comment