Uncommon Handbound Books by Cindy Leaders


The Amazing Versatile Expandable Travel Journal

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I have been pondering the Perfect Travel Journal for several months. Something you can write in, draw and paint in, personalize, store photos, scraps and memorabilia and that would just be fun to use. Something equally useful for artists, scrapbookers and journalers alike. Neither too large not to small but just right. I'm thrilled to finally have completed a form that I think works on every level.

(Update May 2015:  I now offer three unique custom map journal designs to fit the needs of many different kinds of travelers.  Visit my "For Travels" page here to see them compared side by side, complete with prices and links to my Etsy shop, and see which one is right for you!  Visit my new home on the web at FreeRangeBookbinding.com

The basic structure is an accordion book made from heavy weight 220 gsm paper. Not only does this provide an excellent substrate for the other elements in the book, it takes paint and collage work very well.


At 4-3/8 x 6-3/8, the journal perfectly accommodates 4 x 6 photos. There's window in the front cover so that you can personalize it with a title, artwork or photo of your own choosing. Whatever you affix to the first page becomes your cover image!

There are separate closures on both sides of the book so that you can open it either way to expose the section you want . . .




















or you can open both sides and spread the whole thing out.

One section on each side consists of a pamphlet book with 20 pages (40 front and back): 12 from 70 lb drawing paper and 8 from graph, ledger, legal and primary paper for variety and a touch of whimsy.

There are also two pockets made from a manila business envelope and four tabs made from sturdy manila folders which you can use to add in MORE photos, brochures, menus, anything that fits, as separate "pages" in the book.

My favorite inclusion is a manila catalog envelope that has been cut and the bottom, folded and stitched into the book so as to form two envelopes, concealing when opened two small coin envelopes inserted between them. I've added a wrapping closure to keep everything secure.


There are also some blank folds of the heavy paper left open for your art or photos. And because it's an accordion, you can keep adding stuff till your heart's content and it will grow with you.

These are available at my Etsy shop here. They can be customized with any map you like and personalized to make it the perfect gift for any traveler, including you!

10 comments:

KarleighJae May 4, 2010 at 11:22 AM  

Love the envelopes!! I consider that the ultimate need in any travel journal!

PrairiePeasant May 4, 2010 at 6:13 PM  

What a great and unique design! Love it!

Unknown June 5, 2010 at 1:17 PM  

You are one gifted book designer! Love the envelope-within-an-envelope "pages".

Clara November 15, 2010 at 2:16 PM  

This is amazing. I collect notebooks, love travel journals and I'm starting to make my own... This is truly inspiring! I'll be sure to add it to my favorites on etsy so I can get it for Christmas:)

Shivani Ahuja September 13, 2011 at 5:53 AM  

OMG it is beautifull... love it...

Post a Comment