Uncommon Handbound Books by Cindy Leaders


Happy Earth Day!

Monday, April 21, 2008

In honor of the occasion, I've been focusing on recycling! Of course, all of my reinvented journals are recycled, but I'm always looking for something new to make into a book. Here are three journals that are actually made from grocery bags. The green one is from a Whole Foods bag, and the funky Tiki ones are from a bag from Trader Joe's. The pages are not actually recycled but are made from scraps I've had leftover from other books.

Here's a mini-journal made from a transparent red 45 record! I really like the way the music shows through the hold. And it makes a perfect little place to highlight the coptic stitching. More proof that, if it's flat, it's in danger of becoming a book!

I have to confess that I have not always been very "eco-minded." But as time goes on, I am seeing that we must take our God-given responsibility as stewards of the earth seriously. Now I really am looking for places to make a difference.

3 comments:

Linda May 1, 2008 at 8:54 AM  

WOW! Those books are wonderful. You are doing so much good. Plus they are BEAUTIFUL.

I've tagged you.... sorry...go see my blog. ha

Anna May 2, 2008 at 4:00 PM  

holy smokes! i LOVE your books they are beautiful! I visited you blog cuz of Linda :) I'm sooo delighted I did! What are the names of the spines you have displayed? I'm interested in trying to make the one you made with the criss crossy thread spine. They are amazing - great job - Anna

Nathalie Thompson May 6, 2008 at 5:13 PM  

Your recycled bag books are great, but your record book is over the moon. I was hoping to find it in your esty shop. Any plans to make more like it in the future? Transparent records don't grow on trees, but even solid black (or other colors) ones would be very cool!

Post a Comment