Uncommon Handbound Books by Cindy Leaders


Generation Gap?

Monday, June 9, 2008

One of the things I've enjoyed most about making books is that my younger friends like them. Even my kids and THEIR friends like them. So I'm apparently a cool old lady. (Okay, not that old. Don't ask.) Anyway I made this book for my young friend Matt's 18th birthday and high school graduation.

He came up with the idea of putting the quote along the spine, which I really like. The cover material is another of my paint/glaze experimentations. I really like the way this one came out, though. It looks like old leather. The Shakespeare quote was Matt's choice. I put in pages from my old Shakespeare book and used paper made to look like an old map for the endpapers.

I like how classic this look turned out. And I'm really pleased Matt thought it was cool.

5 comments:

Sandy June 10, 2008 at 2:08 AM  

This is an awesome book. Great idea, I've never seen one like it before. You did a great job. :D

Nathalie Thompson June 28, 2008 at 5:17 PM  

I have been showing your books to my artist friends and everyone loves them. Yesterday my 11 year old wanted to claim one of your books for herself (ship themed). I love my daughter, but not enough to just HAND her a treasured, art piece of a journal that I would never find another to replace it with!

Carapace July 18, 2008 at 5:23 AM  

That is a lovely book. Will you be making more in that style?
And I know it's the wrong post, but where oh where is that "managing your mind" book from? I need that journal...

ginny July 26, 2008 at 4:33 PM  

This book is wonderful. I wish I could touch it, it looks like it would really feel good in one's hands. All your books are great. Fun blog.

shebrews August 3, 2008 at 5:24 PM  

waaaaaay cool. I just purchased one of your books on etsy! can't wait to get it!

Post a Comment