Uncommon Handbound Books by Cindy Leaders


Happy New Year!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

I am so excited to be entering into 2011! I admit, I'm a sucker for a new year. I highly resolve many things in January. Since I actually got a start last fall on a few of my biggies, I'm hoping they'll stick!

One thing I resolve to do is design NEW books so I don't get stuck in the same old ruts! So here's my first offering for 2011.


I'm on an envelope kick these days, so these tiny little books are made from coin envelopes folded in half.

I've cut the tiniest bit off the bottom so that the envelope actually forms two little pockets that I've slipped some little blank notes from coordinating scrapbook paper into. The teensy text block has 8 pages made from scraps of ivory drawing paper left from versatile travel journals.


The covers feature copyright free vintage images from PeggyLovesVintage on Etsy. I love images from the 40s and 50s! They're so quaint and kitschy. Peggy's got loads of really nice ones.


Once filled with all your little love notes, a red ribbon ties the little book neatly at the back. Another another envelope, embellished with a circle cut from the same design, holds it perfectly for giving.

These are available in my Etsy shop here. Hoping to see more of you here and on your blogs this year! Happy 2011!

8 comments:

Anonymous,  January 6, 2011 at 10:33 AM  

Oh, now those are CUTE! Great idea and design.

Emerson Bindery January 6, 2011 at 5:52 PM  

I say you're off to a great start!

Anonymous,  January 7, 2011 at 6:30 AM  

Those are adorable! :)

DebsArt January 19, 2011 at 2:04 PM  

Hi I am a bookbinder myself and I am always looking for new ideas. These are so cute. I love the little pockets. Did you use a simple stitch for the binding? And what glue did you use for pasting. I was using my bookbinding glue for lighter projects but found it was buckling too much so just used a good old gluestick, however not sure about how wearable it is.
I have a button on my website for free vintage collage pics if you are interested.
thanks Deb

Cindy Leaders January 22, 2011 at 12:27 PM  

Thanks, friends! Deb, I just used a pamphlet stitch and slow drying bookbinder's glue for the cover image. I find that glue sticks let go too easily. I'll check out your blog! Thanks!

Post a Comment