Uncommon Handbound Books by Cindy Leaders


Coffee-Stained Papers

Sunday, November 11, 2007

I had a lot of fun last week trying out a new technique I saw in a magazine. It has that great layered look we all love so much, and it starts with a lowly cup of coffee! I started out very tentatively, but by the end I was slinging coffee all over the place! I ended up leaving one side just stained, so you can see the effect of just the coffee in some of these pictures. I especially like the effect I got when I sprinkled a little salt on the coffee. Very crystal-y where the salt chased the coffee away!

After the coffee, the paper is glazed with cream colored acrylic latex to soften all the edges. Then color can be added. Here I've added a couple of shades of soft aqua. I did another in peach tones. Some I left plain.

The finished result reminded me of illustrations in an old French textbook, so included some of those pages in a couple of little square journals I made with this paper. You can see the at my etsy site. www.usefulbooks.etsy.com

1 comments:

Nathalie Thompson November 12, 2007 at 8:24 AM  

Thank you for your prayers and words of encourgaement. It is a comfort to know so many poeple are lifting me up. (((Hugs)))

Your coffee stained pages are AMAZING. How strong is the coffee you used? I've tried strong tea and it was too pale for my liking. So I use walnut ink, but coffee is more available and cheaper. I almost always have some dregs of coffee left after drinking! lol

Post a Comment