Uncommon Handbound Books by Cindy Leaders


Wandering into the Wedding Forest

Monday, March 19, 2012

I've been thinking for literally years of developing some wedding guest book designs. It took someone asking me to make one for them to spur me on to actually do it.  A local friend wanted something for a simple, rustic wedding, preferably with a tree design, maybe to use for photos as well.  So this is what I made for her: 


I made it with an expandable spine so that added bulk from photos won't make it splay open.  Since it grows to three inches in width, there's plenty of space to add up to 80 photographs, one on each side of the 40 heavy pages.  


The book will lay nicely flat for signing or adding photos.  I've used my luxurious heavyweight Italian Velata for the pages, all hand torn of course.  It will work great for mounting photos or writing.

The design is printed directly onto book cloth I made from simple unbleached muslin.   It has a rustic elegance that I really like.

I'm offering these made to order in my Etsy shop.  I have some other tree motifs, as well as sea shells and a few other fun things to use if a bride prefers.  You can see it here if you like.

6 comments:

Lizzie March 19, 2012 at 2:46 PM  

This is really beautiful - and very "Useful Books" too! Definitely unusual and unique - should fill a gap in the "Handmade/homemade and Rustic Weddings" market. I love this expanding spine that you use. I've made scrapbooks - and the occasional journal - with this expanding spine idea, but they haven't been stitched, just glued, like flag books. Your design is so cool!
The bookcloth and design on the cover is gorgeous - simple, but also very lovely.
Good luck with this new design - I think you'll sell lots!

PrairiePeasant March 19, 2012 at 7:20 PM  

Well done Cindy! You have a real gift for adding some very unique touches that make each of your books so special. I know that this is an album I would have loved for my own wedding, and I'm sure you will get more custom requests like this.

Linda Jo March 21, 2012 at 7:24 AM  

That is incredible! I love it......would've been great at my daughter's wedding. I insisted she have a sign in book....so got one of those boring plain white ones at Hallmark. I needed you!!!

Maggie Ann March 31, 2012 at 4:21 PM  

Everything you make is to the moon wonderful...I'm sure this will be treasured for a long, long time. It was such a treat for me to meet you at the craft fair down south....and purchase a journal. =)

Drew Watts August 31, 2017 at 11:45 PM  

That’s just amazing creation. Glad to read all this here. I would also be tying the knot soon at some destination wedding venues and I agree that this feeling is totally different. We both just can’t wait for our special day.

Unknown September 11, 2017 at 7:44 PM  

they haven't been stitched, just glued, like flag books. Your design is so cool!


pirates of the caribbean 5

Post a Comment